Abate the Panic

Wed Aug 3 – It’s a good thing I have learned to survive on very little sleep. Not thrive, but survive. We finally nodded off around 1:30 am last night and I had to roll out of bed by 5:30 am. I didn’t make it to my office in time for a one-hour free software training session at 8:00 am, but I’ll just register for Friday’s lesson instead. But I did get to the office just barely after 8:00, so I had plenty of time to compose myself before starting work in earnest.

Lilya’s napping at the new place this morning until she’s caught up on her sleep, and then she’ll be organizing and packing some of the things in my old bedroom for us to load into their truck tonight after work. I’m so thankful she’s able to pitch in, even for at least one day, and the edge is blunted a little on the undercurrent of my moving panic. It’s not true panic, just an uneasy feeling of stress. The garage still feels like a daunting task, but today I’m only going to worry about the bedroom.
* * * * *

I’m getting routine updates (via IM) from Lilya during the day. The move is going well, although she’s enduring the same thing I had: The move is like a weight-training class with steps! But she’s says it’s going surprisingly quickly even with frequent breaks.
* * * * *

When I got in to the old apartment, after work, a happy but exhausted friend greeted me enthusiastically with evidence of all her hard work. She tells me it was like a large jig-saw puzzle, trying to figure out where to sort and move things, and to try and use the space downstairs to the best advantage. She did a fabulous job. So when she suggested that sushi or Moroccan food would be her favorites (I did ask after all!), I decided it was worth springing for Todai (all-you-can eat sushi buffet just a few miles down the road). It was a little steeper than I remembered, but I’d never paid for two people before, just myself. But I counted it well spent moving budget money, since she really had worked hard all day lugging things downstairs for me. She’s happy to come do another day like this for me next week, so the panic is almost completely abated.

After dinner we decided rather than watch the recorded tv show and then take her home, she would just crash one more night at my place and have a lazy sleep in morning. Sadly though, my TiVo and my new cable box were *not* talking to each other and I was unsuccessful in recording a show for her while we were out at dinner. The TiVo *thought* it had recorded the correct show, but the cable box had *not* switched channels so we were left whimpering and show-less. Oh well. I messed around with the settings for a while, but I still haven’t solved the problem. I suppose this was an okay time for it to happen, in that lull that is summer programming (or lack thereof), with plenty of time for me to get it solved before the new seasons all start this fall. But I was sorry I couldn’t record the dance show she really wanted to watch.

Now I just have to plan to squeeze laundry in tomorrow morning before work, leaving early, picking up Lilya, taking her home, and heading north to the shire monthly council meeting. G’night.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.